On my last day in the City with friends we ventured up Telegraph Hill to Coit Tower. Upon walking in we were greeted by a lovely lady that sorted our tickets for us to go in the elevator. It takes you up 14 stories to the top where the 360° degree views of the city and the bay were superb.
When you decide to descend, it’s worth wandering around the tower’s base and checking out all the murals painted on the walls and there’s the usual gift shop for your memorabilia.
While outside of the tower keep your eyes peeled for wild parrots. No one is quite sure how the flock of feral parrots ended up in Telegraph Hill, but they’ve been there for years and you can see them most days hanging out in the trees.
Coit Tower, also known as the Lillian Coit Memorial Tower, is a 210-foot (64 m) tower in the Telegraph Hill neighborhood. The column was built in 1933, the legacy of Lillian Hitchcock Coit, an eccentric “mascot” fire-fighter who adored San Francisco and at her death in 1929, left one-third of her estate to the city to “…for the purpose of adding to the beauty of the city which I have always loved.”
When you enter Coit Tower, you’ll find yourself in a small circular building where there’s also a gift shop. Here you can purchase tickets to take the elevator to the top of the tower.
- 10am – 6pm May-October
- 10am-5pm November-April
- $8.00 Adults
- $5.00 Seniors 65+
- $5.00 Youth 12-17
- $2.00 Children 5-11
- Children under 4 are free.
Public transportation is recommended as parking at the tower is very limited.
- Walking, is the best way to the tower.
- Car, There are a few spaces on the street leading up to the tower, but during the summer months there can be long waits for a parking spot.
- Bus, The #30 or #45 line to Washington Square, located at the corners of Union & Columbus and transfer to the #39 Coit Tower bus.
- Uber or Lyft. Get $5 (£3) credit for your first Uber ride here.
- Keep your eyes peeled for the wild parrots
- Take a jacket with you. It may be sunny in the morning, but the weather changes fast and frequently.
- Uber Get $5 (£3) credit for your first ride here.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?