We were dropped off by an Uber at one end and we simply just walked through soaking up the experience and sites. The neon-soaked energy could be intimidating for some, but the bars, around 40 of them, seemed friendly as we walked on by. The atmosphere was certainly electric with entertainment, scantily dressed dancing girls, drinks and music all in one short street. You will not see anything like this anywhere else in the world!
Soi Cowboy is a place for those with either high or low morals and for the curious! We didn’t actually go in to any of the bars and just kept walking. For any traveller/explorer, it is a place that just has to be experienced, even if like us you just walk through.
- There are currently around 40 bars and gogo bars, including one ladyboy bar.
- It is a short street, approximately 200 metres long and is closed to traffic at night.
- Be warned, that prostitution has been illegal in Thailand since 1960.
The first bar opened in Soi Cowboy in the early 1970s, but it was not until 1977 that a second bar opened on the street. The area was named after a cowboy hat-wearing African-American who opened the first bar back in the 1970s.
Soi Cowboy is located between Sukhumvit Soi 23 and Asoke Road. Ask any tuk tuk driver or taxi driver and they will take you there. Alternatively you can take the Skytrain (BTS) and get off at Asok Station or the Bangkok Subway System (MRT) and get off at the Sukhumvit Station. Both are just a few minutes walk to Soi Cowboy.
- Opening Hours: Daily 08:30 – 18:30 (Massage available until 18:00)
- Price: The entrance fee is 100 baht and includes a free bottle of water.
- All visitors must wear appropriate clothing; this means no exposed shoulders or skin above the knee.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?