Hang out with the locals at Huay Tung Tao Lake, very few tourists know about his place. With a stunning landscape and mountainous backdrop there’s no better place to chill and enjoy a drink and meal with your mates.
When you arrive you’ll find a group of huts by the lakefront. This is the best part about Huay Tung Tao and the main reason why most people come here. Just walk into any empty hut and a member of staff from the nearest restaurant will come over. The staff don’t speak much English, so pointing and holding up you fingers will be the way to order if you don’t speak much Thai. The food is fairly cheap! I got a whole salted fish, for only 180 baht about £4 and a large Chang was only 60 THB (£1.40).
Vendors were walking around the lake selling snacks, offering things like fresh cut fruit, boiled peanuts etc and also there were ice cream carts that slowly made their way around to each hut & table selling cold goodies.
You can go swimming in the lake and there were some local Thai near us swimming fully clothed. The water was pretty warm and not too deep in the area that is marked for bathing, it came up to our knees just be aware that you’ll be sharing the waters with some friendly wildlife. Out of know where a 3 foot long snake swam past us right where we had been sitting.
While we were there I hardly saw any other foreigners like us, this is definitely a local hidden gem.
The food is fairly cheap! We got a whole fish, steamed and fried, for 180 baht or about £4. There are numerous restaurant surrounding the lake, so you won’t be far from food.
- Renting a swan pedal boat
It’s only about a twenty-minute drive northwest of the Old City.
- You can use Grab or Uber, it cost us around 200THB in a Uber, split between 3 or 4 of you is only £1.15ea. Just make sure you have data to order one for the return as I didn’t see any WiFi while I was there.
- You can jump in a songthaew from the city and they’ll happily sit and wait for a few hours and be ready to take you back.
- Easily accessible on a moped.
- The entrance fee is 50 baht.
- Can be a popular place on weekends, so visiting on weekdays or arriving early is your best bet for securing a table. Groups up to eight people can sit comfortably at one table.
- Find out more at huaytuengthao.com
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?