Enjoy a 360 virtual tour of Thurlestone North Beach. Quieter than the other beaches, this small remote picturesque beach is well worth a visit
First time coming here and it was really quiet compared to the usually busy South Milton Sands considering it was only 5pm. There are no facilities on the beach, although there are some toilets just a short walk away past the golf club and on the other side of the road.
If you’re looking for a more rural quieter beach then this is the place to come. We were so chilled out here that we both had a little nap on the beach. We parked at the small pay entry car park at the North end of South Beach by Links Court. It did require a short walk including some steps to get down to the beach from that car park though. Not advisable if you’re not particularly mobile on your feet.
Thurlestone is a small village 5 miles west of Kingsbridge in the District of South Hams on the south coast of Devon, UK on stunning south west coast in the arc of Bigbury Bay and lies within the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- A remote sandy beach, approximately 250 metres wide, backed by sand dunes.
- Rock pools are exposed at low tide.
- There is a stream flowing across the beach to the sea.
- Thurlestone North is known as Leas Foot and the larger southern beach situated slightly further along the coast is Thurlestone South Sands, which merges into South Milton Sands.
- In late March and early April, a flock of 68 garganey was offshore in the bay, the second largest flock ever to be recorded in Britain (the largest was a flock of 120 in Kent in the 1950s).
- In August, a least sandpiper, a North American vagrant shorebird only recorded once in Devon previously, was present on Thurlestone Marsh.
- Strong undercurrents
- Tidal cut-off
- Large breaking waves
- Do Not use inflatables when windy
There are a few holiday cottages in the village, but you will find more in nearby Thurlestone.
- Airbnb, Some in the village or nearby South Huish expect to pay from £100.
- Camping, nearest is South Devon Camping Lower Terawhiti Farm, also nearby Cool Cow Camping, Karrageen and Bolberry house.
- Hostel, No hostels in the area.
- Holiday Cottages & Guesthouses
Get up to £50 off your first Airbnb trip of £40 or more click here.
There are some spectacular coastal walks, plus stand up paddle boards, kayaks (one and two seaters), windsurfers and wetsuits all are available to hire.
Parking at the small pay entry car park at the North end of South Beach by Links Court, does require a short walk including some steps to get down to the beach from that car park though. Not advisable if you’re not particularly mobile on your feet.
- Disabled access is best on the far side of the golf club.
S W Coast Path, Kingsbridge TQ7 3JS.
- Bus, 162 from Kingsbridge stops at the church in Thurlestone village, then just a short walk down the hill.
- Car, I parked at the car park at the northern end of South Milton Sands, and walk down a narrow road for 50m, then 25 concrete steps. Parking is also available a short walk away on the far side of the golf course.
- Walking, walk the coastal path with the stunning views on a sunny day. (Don’t forget the sunscreen). It’s a short walk from Thurlestone North Beach or from Hope Cove.
- Dogs are allowed all year-round.
- No lifeguard service.
- Beware of strong undercurrents.
- Keep your eyes peeled for seals and dolphins which are often seen here. Even the odd whale and basking shark have been spotted.
- Beware of the seagulls if your outside with food.
- There are some toilets just a short walk past the golf club on the other side of the road.
- Beach Type: coarse sand/fine shingle
- Get £25 off your first Airbnb trip of £55 or more click here.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?