- Bay – An inlet of the sea or other body of water usually smaller than a gulf.
- Beach – A shore of an ocean sea or lake or the bank of a river covered by sand or gravel or larger rock fragments.
- Bight – A bend in a coast forming an open bay.
- Channel – A narrow body of water between two portions of lands.
- Cove – A small sheltered inlet or bay.
- Estuary – Where the mouth of a fresh waterway empties into a body of salt water.
- Fjord – A narrow inlet of sea between cliffs or steep slopes.
- Gulf – A part of the ocean or sea extending into the land.
- Harbor – A part of a body of water protected and deep enough to furnish anchorage especially one with port facilities.
- Haven – A harbor or port.
- Port – A place where ships may ride secure from storms. Usually a harbor town or city where ships may take on or discharge cargo.
- Sands – A tract of sand a sandbank or sandbar.
- Sound – A long, relatively wide body of water, larger than a channel, connecting larger bodies of water.
- After low tide, keep an eye on incoming tide to ensure you don’t get cut off.
- Wherever possible, swim at a lifeguarded beach.
- Never swim alone.
- Do not use inflatables when windy or wind is blowing offshore. On some beaches there will be an orange windsock which indicates offshore winds.
- If you see someone in difficulty, don’t attempt a rescue. Tell a lifeguard, or, if you can’t see a lifeguard, call 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard.
- Do not dig deep holes in sand or dig tunnels in sand. They might collapse.
- Be aware of the seagulls if you’re outside with food.
- Take your rubbish home, don’t try and cram more stuff into an already overflowing beach bin.
- There are occasional reports of substances such as palm oil being washed up on beaches. Some substances are poisonous to dogs.
- If you do find something on the beach, you have to log the item with the government’s Receiver of Wreck. Then, if nobody comes forward to claim the object after a year, you can keep it.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?