Update: 14th June 2020
- added images on the beach during low tide
You can’t beat a pint at the boathouse while watching the world go by. This beach is very popular and always busy with both tourists and locals kicking back and enjoying the sun. If you do sunbath on the beach just beware the tide comes right in completely covering the beach. If the weather is a even little choppy and an easterly wind then you may get wet walking the promenade.
Preston Sands is renowned for its many painted beach huts and is one of Torbay’s most popular beaches and a local favourite. It has a green that runs the length of the beach which is ideal for kicking a ball, throwing frisbees or just chilling and lazing in the sun. There is a small playpark in the center of the green to help keep the youngsters amused.
- The South West Coast Path runs past the beach.
- Blue Flag.
- Good Beach Guide.
- Seaside Award.
In 1920 two German E Boats captured in WWI were being towed to Teignmouth for scrapping. Unfortunately a storm came in and one boat the T-189 slammed into the rocks at Roundham Head and the S-24 ran aground on Preston Beach. It was later recovered and taken away.
- Rock Pooling, At low tide interesting rock pools are exposed at the northern end of the beach.
- Paignton Sands
Marine Parade, Preston, Paignton Devon TQ3 2NU. Free parking can be a bit tricky nearby as there’s limited on-street parking.
- Toilets are at either end of the green.
- There are No lifeguards.
Potential tidal cut-off, strong winds.
- eware the tide comes right in completely covering the beach.
- At low tide interesting rock pools are exposed at the northern end of the beach.
- No dogs allowed 1st May until 30th September.
Beach type: Sand.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?