Enjoy a virtual tour of Hollicombe Beach. Set below high sandstone cliffs this sheltered beach is a real suntrap and usually much the quieter of the beaches around.
It was a shame the morning tide had brought in so much seaweed when I ventured down. It was only at the one end though, so the rest of the beach was still looking good. The water quality is actually excellent and crystal clear for swimming.The cliffs on the Paignton side have undergone some extensive rock armour protection work, with a few piles of rock having been placed to protect the cliff from the winter sea bashing.
- Tip: The sands are revealed when the tide is out, at high tide they are covered to the base of the cliffs.
Hollicombe beach is also known as The Old Gasworks beach by the locals. You will notice today in Hollicombe park the remaining shapes of the disused gas works.
- Strong winds
- Deep shelving beach
- Tidal cut-off
Torbay Road, Torquay, Devon TQ3 2DN. Hollicombe is on the main coastal road and the south west coastal path. To get to the beach go through the park and under the railway bridge.
- The sands are revealed when the tide is out, at high tide they are covered to the base of the cliffs.
- For free parking try Tarraway Road.
- Disabled access to beach via a slipway.
- There are life buoys, but No lifeguards.
- Potential tidal cut-off, strong winds and some deep shelving.
- Dogs not allowed 1st May until 30th September.
- The nearest toilets are at Preston Beach a 10-minute walk along the coastal footpath.
- The slipway gives easy access to the beach, but can be slippery at times.
- Beach type: Sand with rocks and cliffs.