For many years I didn’t know this beach existed, so when I saw it I wanted to come and check it out. Unfortunately the route down on foot is steep and treacherous, so i would advise not to attempt going down to the beach unless you’re a confident climber. The best and safest way would be via kayak or boat.
It was a shame when I had time to come down with the camera it was blowing a hooley and i had to hold on to a tree while trying to capture the shots with one hand, which is why the images aren’t there best. I shall come down again on a better day.
If you do visit during Autumn and winter you may bump into a seal pup. As this is usually a very quiet beach the seals often use it to give birth and raise their pups.
- Strong currents
- Unstable Cliffs
- Tidal Cut-Off
There are no facilities in the area, so you’ll want a picnic or walk to the nearest.
- Maidencombe Beach Cafe ‘Cafe Rio’
- Orestone Manor
- The Thatched Tavern
- Watcombe Beach Cafe (Seasonal)
As you walk deeper into the woods, it’s not easy in places and there are many steps to go up and down along the way. The cliffs to the beach are steep, so great care needs to be taken if you decide to explore. It’s best to only attempt if you’re a confident climber.
- Walking back up to the car park from Watcombe Beach will get your heart racing.
Watcombe Beach Rd, TQ1 4SH. Easiest and safest way would be via kayak or boat, but you can get down on foot if you’re a confident climber.
- Car, Parking at Watcombe car park is free and has 50 spaces. From here you walk through the Valley of the Rocks until you come to the fork by the Goat Path, this is where you carry straight on toward the cliff.
- Bus, No. 85 to Teignmouth.
- Kayak, You can easily launch from Watcombe Beach and then it’s a short ride around the corner.
- Walking, Just a short detour from the South West Coastal Path.
- The beach is covered at high tide.
- Dogs are allowed all year round.
- Be aware of the seagulls if you’re outside with food.
- Beach Type: Sand & rocks
- Get £50 off your first Airbnb trip click here.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?