Enjoy a 360 virtual tour of North Sands Beach nestled along the west side of the Salcombe Estuary and surrounded by plush green hillside.
North Sands Beach is just a short 15 minute level walk from the picturesque town centre of Salcombe along Cliff Road. It’s a large sandy beach with shallow waters making this a safe spot for paddling and swimming in the naturally protected bay, a real summertime haven. There are many rock pools for exploring and dogs are welcome all year round, but the sand is almost all submerged at high tide so do check the tide times.
The beach has stunning views of the Kingsbridge Estuary, Sunny Cove on the East Portlemouth side and out to sea past Wolf Rock. It has everything you need to have a great day out at the beach. With clean toilets, plenty of parking, easy access and the Winking Prawn just a stone’s throw from the shore. I came here for a breakfast wrap £4.95 which was delicious though I was slightly confusion at first as they brought an empty wrap to the table, I thought ‘do they bring the contents over separately?’ Hmmm… No, it turns out it’s a breakfast buffet and all I had to do was go and help myself from the back room, they just forgot to tell us that bit You can just help yourself, so you can have as much as you like, needless to say my wrap was more like a plate, so all’s forgiven.
Next time i’m here I will walk further around to South Sands, where you can get a ride back to Salcombe on the South Sands passenger ferry.
- Strong currents
- Tidal cut-off
- Strong winds
During the English civil war, the town sided with the Royalists and held out against the Roundheads. The ruins of Fort Charles remain towards the south of the town near North Sands.
- Bo’s Beach Café
- The Winking Prawn
TQ8 8LD, car park located directly opposite the beach owned by South Hams District Council and operated by RingGo parking.
- Bus, The nearest bus stop is Shadycombe Road in Salcombe, just over a mile from the beach. The Tally Ho 606 service runs from Kingsbridge to Salcombe from Monday to Saturday.
- Car, There is a car park, but despite having around 80 spaces, it can fill up very quickly.
- Walking, Just over a mile south of Salcombe town centre, easy 15 minute walk and well signposted. From Fore Street, walk south. Stay on this road, which will become Cliff Road and keep going until you arrive at the beach. North Sands will be on your left and it’s part of walk the coastal path.
- The beach is completely submerged at high tide.
- No lifeguard service at this beach.
- Dog-friendly all year round
- Be aware of the seagulls if your outside with food.
- Public toilets
- Beach Type: Sand.
- Get £50 off your first Airbnb trip click here.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?