Tour Instructions: One click to hide/show info, double click to enter/exit full screen mode & you can pinch to zoom.
The line runs alongside the river and is picturesque the whole way. There is actually a few things to do at either end of the line, with the Totnes Rare Breeds Farm and Dartmoor Otters & Buckfast Butterflies next door to the stations.
They actually have a few beer festivals during the year at Staverton station with the spring, the 1940’s and August bank holiday Rails & Ales Beer festivals. Although you do still have to buy the full £16 ticket which covers the full line to/from Totnes and Buckfastleigh, which makes it quite an expensive day out just to get to Staverton.
is the headquarters of the line and hosts the line’s workshops, sheds and offices. The station has a large, free car park and there are modern toilets in the Refreshment Rooms, which include baby changing facilities, and on the platform. There is also has a well-stocked gift and model shop and the Refreshment Rooms serve freshly prepared meals, snacks and drinks.
- The station has easy access for wheelchairs, including ramps to access the trains, and reserved parking close to the platform.
- There is plenty of free car parking at Buckfastleigh station and coach parking features a large turning circle and close, level access to the platform.
- Dartmoor Otters & Buckfast Butterflies is adjacent to the SDR station.
- The Gift and Shop and Refreshment Rooms at Buckfastleigh station are open every day (except Christmas Day and Boxing Day) from 10am to 5pm when trains are running and from 10am to 4pm when trains are not running.
Staverton station has a very small car park and is best accessed by train.
- On selected days, the station group buffet car is open.
A small halt exists here that auto-trains serve on selected days.
- Nappers Halt is a request stop. Passengers wishing to alight should advise the driver or guard before the train leaves the previous station. Passengers wishing to board should give a clear hand-signal to the driver from the platform.
Totnes Riverside is about 500 yards from Totnes main line station, via a footpath link, and around three quarters of a mile from the town. This can make access more difficult for less-able passengers. There are bus services to the town centre as well as footpaths. The small car park at Totnes National Rail station is for main line train customers.
- There are modern toilets on Totnes Riverside station.
- The Totnes Rare Breeds Farm is adjacent to the SDR station.
Single and return fares are available between Totnes, Staverton and Buckfastleigh.
- Adult £16
- Child (0-2) Free
- Child (3-15) £9
- Senior Citizen £15
- Family (2 adults & 2 children) £45
- Dogs £1
- Special fares are available for groups of 10 or more visitors booking together
The station was opened by the Buckfastleigh, Totnes and South Devon Railway on 1 May 1872. The railway was amalgamated into the Great Western Railway in 1897 and this in turn was nationalised into British Railways on 1 January 1948.
- The station closed to passengers in November 1958 although goods traffic on the line continued until 7 September 1962.
- It was re-opened by the Dart Valley Railway, a heritage railway, on 5 April 1969. The South Devon Railway Trust took over the running of the line on 1 January 1991.
There are numerous outlets you can buy food along the journey The train do have an on-board buffet coach that serves a variety of hot & cold snacks, teas, coffees and soft drinks.
- Refreshment Rooms at Buckfastleigh.
- Cash only can be accepted at the on-train buffets. (Cards can be used in the main refreshment room at Buckfastleigh.)
- Staverton food Buffet coach open 10am – 3pm Tues, thursday and Saturday
- Enjoy a traditional three course Sunday Lunch aboard the 12.15pm train from Buckfastleigh.
Littlehempston, Totnes TQ9 6LZ or Buckfastleigh TQ11 0DZ.
- Car, There is little parking in Totnes. There’s a large free car park at Buckfastleigh just off the A38.
- Bus, Get off at Rail Station (Stop C), then it’s a 9 minute walk. Buckfastleigh get off at the Jet Garage (stop B) on Dartbridge road, then it’s a 4 minute walk.
- Train, The Totnes station is on the main line between Plymouth & Newton Abbot. The Totnes Riverside Station is just a 500 yard walk behind the main line station.
- Badger Cabs 01803 840400
- Totnes taxis ltd 01803 868686
- South Hams Cabs 01803 840404
- South West Taxis 07803 126396
- Walk, The station at Totnes Riverside is about a 500 yard walk behind the main line station.