Enjoy a 360 virtual tour of the Battery Gardens, with panoramic views of Torbay, WWII bunkers and a English Heritage scheduled monument.
I’d driven past and walked the coastal path below many times over the years, but I had never actually walked through the gardens. When i did I only had my lunch break to wonder so didn’t cover everything, it’s larger than you think. I’ll have to make the time to come back, and at a time the museum is open to learn more and perhaps do the tour.
- Brixham coastal defence Battery was built in 1940.
- Free Admission… The site is run by volunteers and it relies completely on donations.
- The Brixham Battery Heritage Group was founded in 1999, four years after the project was first started in 1995.
- Of the 116 Emergency Batteries built in 1940 from John O’Groats to Kent, to Lands End, and to the Clyde only 7 remain. Of these Brixham battery is the most complete. English Heritage surveyed the whole site and it is now a scheduled monument.
- “Battery” is a military term used to describe a number of artillery weapons and the soldiers who operate them. The WW2 coast and defence batteries had two main guns, anti-aircraft weapons and, in the case of Brixham, extra harbour defence guns.
- The role of Brixham battery, in conjunction with a similar battery at Corbyn Head, Torquay was to defend all the beaches against landings.
It is known that as far back as 1586 a gun platform was established in battery grounds against the threat of attack from Spain. This was maintained until 1664.
- In 1940, during WW2, a total of about one hundred officers and soldiers manned the Battery.
The Battery Heritage Education Centre & Museum is open every Monday and Friday from 2.00pm – 4.00pm and Sundays during the summer from 2.00pm – 4.00pm. However it does close for the winter months from December, not reopening until March.
- The gardens are open 24/7.
- Brixham Holiday Club House
- Fishcombe Cove Cafe
Getting to the Museum is easy, but some areas of the garden grounds and outer buildings are not suitable for all visitors. In places the paths are steep and there are steps leading to some areas. So the full site may not be suitable for all.
- Wheelchair access is limited.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?