Enjoy a virtual tour of Brixham Breakwater a gentle, predominantly level walk along the breakwater with panoramic views across the harbour and Torbay
Brixham Breakwater is a nice casual walk to the lighthouse and back and a great spot for fishing – I used to fish here as a kid with my dad and you can fish both the seaward and harbour sides, you might catch a whole range of species including mackerel, bass, garfish, pollack, mullet, herring, horse mackerel, dogfish, conger, flatfish, whiting. If you do choose to fish, just remember that boats have right of way, and this is the main channel for all vessels to pass in and out of the harbour.
Just next to the breakwater is Breakwater Beach which has won many awards, including the Blue Flag, Quality Coast Award and Good Beach Guide. The water here is crystal clear with plenty of people swimming. Sometimes there are events on the beach, one of the most popular is Brixfest. If you like sunsets then this is one of the very few locations in Torbay you can actually sit and watch.
A lighthouse was established here in 1878 – the current one was built in 1916. It is 9 metres high, painted white and has a lantern and a gallery. For maintenance purposes, it is accessed via a small door on its side.
- The lighthouse is half a mile from shore, so its a mile walk there and back.
- During storms, some spectacular, huge waves smash over the breakwater – this makes for some great photography, but never go onto the breakwater itself in such conditions.
- Strong winds
One terrible storm in 1866 was so bad that even the beacon on the breakwater was swept away. Fifty vessels were wrecked and more than one hundred lives were lost in the storm that night.
- Walk to lighthouse
- The Breakwater Bistro
Easy – Predominantly level one mile walk to the lighthouse and back.
Breakwater Berry Head Road, Brixham, Devon TQ5 9AF. Close to the old harbour of Brixham, it has easy disabled access with adequate parking at the back of the beach.
- Car, For free parking you might be lucky on Berry Head Road or try around Wall Park Road (postcode TQ5 9UE).
- Breakwater Car Park has 103 spaces
- Bus, There is a local bus service, no.17.