Enjoy a 360 virtual tour of the Double Locks a family and dog friendly pub in an picturesque location on the Exeter Ship Canal.
I do like the Double Locks, I’ve been here a number of times over the years. It may be a little out of the way and awkward to get to especially over that rickety little bridge if you’re coming via car. I would recommend the 30 minute walk along the river from Exeter Quay if you have the time.
There is a huge beer garden, often with tents erected for events like the Beer & Cider festival or Bonfire night where they had one of the biggest bonfires I’ve seen and the fireworks display after was also one of the best. I’d definitely recommend coming for that.
I’ve eaten here a couple times and it may be a little pricey, but the food was very good.
The original Double Locks was built in 1701 as a lock house. The mast of HMS Exeter forms part of the lock gates. Also evident at the front of the pub are the rails running parallel to the lock which were used to tow smaller craft to bypass the lock itself.
Weekdays: 11 – 23:00
Sunday: 12 – 22:30
This pub serves 1 regular beers.
- Youngs Bitter
- Bays Brewery
- Exeter Brewery
- Otter Brewery
A seasonal menu with locally sourced food that may be a little pricey for some with £13.50 for a burger or £14 for cod & chips, see the full menu here.
- 7 days a week from 11.30am
- Bonfire & Fireworks Night
- Cider & Sausage Festival
- Dog Show
Double Locks, Canal Banks, Exeter EX2 6LT. Driving is the easiest way to get here.
- Bus, Alphinbrook Road is the nearest stop, then a 20 minute walk to the pub.
- Car, The small rickety bridge over the river isn’t the easiest to negotiate, but you should be fine if you’re confident driver. If coming in a larger vehicle, I find it’s actually easier to reverse over the bridge, as long as no one has parked in the way where you need to turn.
- Cycling, there is a clear cycle path all the way from Exeter Quay along both sides of the river.
- Kayak, from Exeter Quay along the river.
- Walk, 30 minutes from Exeter Quay along the river.
- Dogs are welcome, treats and water bowls available.
- Can shut earlier than stated times once the last customers leave.
- Find out more at www.doublelocks.com or on Facebook.
Click here to Explore More of the UK in 360º
If you found this helpful, please like and follow my social pages
Would you recommend the Double Locks? What could improve it here?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?