I always use the lower ferry when travelling between Kingswear & Dartmouth, the staff are always friendly, it has great views and it’s cheaper than the higher ferry. Operating from slips directly in the centre of both places, making it more convenient for local traffic, but this does mean the traffic has to negotiate the narrow streets.
Dartmouth Lower Ferry, is a vehicular and passenger ferry crossing the River Dart between Kingswear and Dartmouth, Devon, UK. The crossing offers lovely views of Dartmouth, Kingswear, Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth Castle and the open sea.
- The Ferry is operated using a floating platform pushed along by a tug carrying up to 8 cars. When traffic demands increase, there are two ferry/tugs used at the same time.
- The 630-mile (1,010 km) long South West Coast Path crosses the Dart on either the Lower or Passenger ferries.
The lower ferry has been transporting vehicles and foot passengers between Dartmouth and Kingswear since the 1700’s.
- There are records of a Kingswear Ferry as early as 1365.
7 days a week all year, apart from Christmas Day.
Monday to Saturday Times
- First ferry from Kingswear 7:00am – last ferry 10:45pm.
- First ferry from Dartmouth 7:10am – last ferry 10:55pm.
- First ferry from Kingswear 8:00am – last ferry 10:45pm.
- First ferry from Dartmouth 8:10am – last ferry 10:55pm.
Cheaper than the higher ferry and if you travel often then the ferrysavers make this even cheaper still as you can buy 20 crossings (40 for foot passengers) in bulk saving a fair bit of money.
There is 2 ways to pay
- On board: Full Price.
- Ferrysavers: Buy upto 20 crossing in bulk, ask a crew member to save yourself some money
- Fleet Cards: available for businesses
Check the South Hams website for current prices.
Dartmouth Sat Nav TQ6 9AP, Kingswear TQ6 0AA.
- The ferry is fully equipped to accommodate wheelchair users and crews are there to assist.
- If you cross regularly ask a crew member about Ferrysavers to buy in bulk and save yourself some money.
- Check the South Hams website for current prices.
If you found this helpful, please like and follow my social pages
Click here to Explore More of the UK in 360º
Originally posted on 28 Jul 2017 @ 15:03
Would you recommend the Lower ferry? What could improve it?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?