Tour Instructions: One click to hide/show info, double click to enter/exit full screen mode & you can pinch to zoom.
I’ve done this trip numerous times now over the years and it never gets old. The views are stunning throughout the journey running along the coast, then heading inland and along the River Dart, you see a lot in just 30 minutes. It’s also a great way to start off the day for the famous Round Robin.
Dartmouth Steam Railway steam trains travel seven miles along the South Devon coast and into the Dart Valley with stations at Goodrington Sands, Churston, Greenway and Kingswear.
The Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway that is in operation today, is running due to the efforts of the Dart Valley Railway PLC over the past 30 years. It is a commercial company with a board of directors, enthusiast shareholders and the dedicated staff who run and maintain the heritage railway. The company was founded in the 1960’s to acquire and run the Totnes to Buckfastleigh branch railway, which had been closed for some years.
It opened under the Dart Valley Railway control in 1969. Within a few years the Paignton to Kingswear line was threatened with closure by British Railways. It was then that the Dart Valley Railway acquired this section of line as well and started train services in 1973. The Paignton to Kingswear line is fully up to main line standards and is able to carry the largest and heaviest locomotives in Britain.
A return trip to Dartmouth will cost
- Adults £17.50 (
- Child £10.50 (
- Concession (aged 60 +) £17.00
- Family Ticket 2 Adults 3 children £48.50 (
- Dogs £2
This also includes the passenger ferry Kingswear to Dartmouth.
If you have the time the time buy the famous Round Robin tour, it’s the best way to explore! This includes the steam train, river boat and bus visiting the towns of Paignton, Dartmouth and Totnes. Journey times are: steam train (30 minutes), river boat (90 minutes) and bus (30 minutes).
This is an award-winning ticket and a favourite with the locals both young and old. Often used to include all the fun of an ale trail with many interesting pubs along the way.
- The Round Robin runs from April to end of October.
- The Round Robin changes daily due to the tides on the River Dart at Totnes.
- The Paddle Steamer Round Robin is a couple pound more and runs on selected dates until mid September.
Round Robin Prices
- Adult £27.50. (
- Child (3-15) £17.00 (
- Concession (aged 60 +) £26.50 (
- Family Ticket (2 Ad & max 3ch) £74.00 (
Under 3’s travel free, (this may vary on special event days and on particular services such as Santa Express)
Queens Park Station, Torbay Rd, Paignton TQ4 6AF. Directly behind the Paignton Train station.
- You can get discount with groups of 20 or more.
- Dogs are welcome for a £2 fee.
- Under 3’s travel free, (this may vary on special event days and on particular services such as Santa Express)
- For more details check out www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk.